Sunday, 11 September 2011

A Gas Station Attendant?

 A friend of mine wrote this: 


“Today, having been Sunday for me, I went to church, and the pastor said, ‘Some Christians tend to go to church and treat it the same as is we were filling up with petrol at a petrol station (or gas at a gas station). We go there solely to fill up.’ That is all my pastor said, so I have decided to continue it.
         Let me tell you a story: There once was a little gas station in a little town. Although this gas station was the only one in town, so the locals thought that this gas station was rather large. It had gas pumps, a car wash and a shop attendant that looked after the customers. On a busy day, the gas station would be lined up two or three cars at the pumps, and some people always took the time to thank and praise the man for his clean gas station. They would sit there and go on about how the car wash was great for getting your car clean because it actually had soap in it. Some other customers however, simply drove in, filled up their car with gas, all the while chatting to the friend nearby, and then when they went in to pay, hardly said a word to the attendant.
      
    The car wash was very useful for getting dirty cars clean again. No one wants to look at a dirty car, so when the gas station was not too busy, the man at the gas station would often go out and wash cars that were for sale next to the station.

    Now, here is the rather frightening bit: Which person are we? If we shed a bit more light, you might just catch a glimpse of this. Jesus is the gas station attendant. He owns the station, which is the church. The car wash is for new Christians or Christians that just need cleaning. The dirt is sin, and only Jesus can wash away our sin, and so, we take our car to be washed by the gas station attendant. People come from all over the town to ‘get filled up’ but is that all we do when we go to church. Is church all about ‘filling up?’ Do we go to church and hardly talk to God? Or are we the people that go to church only for socialisation. No one may never know why you go to church, but God does, and it is between you and Him that matters.”
                                                                                                                              ~Ric Alden

48 comments:

  1. Anna,

    I was looking forward to talking to you!! Please, do not stress out! Trust GOd that He is in control! It is funny that you like the night, because I do to, although I used to be terribly afraid at night!

    How are you feeling? Are you getting enough sleep? And how is your dad and the rest of the family?

    How did you like Ric's allegory? I think he is a terrible writer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am here and happy. ;)
    I am not stressing...too bad. :D Really...I am doing great! I just made one of the girls bows! :D :D I hope to send them to you in a few days. ;)

    Thank you for the reminder...yes. :) God is in control. :)

    I used to be afraid of the night too...now...I don't know...I just love it. It's so calm and peaceful...and I just feel close to God...and I love to pray...and think. :)

    I am not getting a ton of sleep...but enough. ;) Dad and the rest are great! :) Just...ready to be done with reno! ;)

    I haven't read Ric's allegory yet...I plan to in just a moment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, well, I wrote it up here, and thought, maybe I shouldn't have written it??

    Oh well, if you have any complaints, I will tell him.

    You used to be afraid to? wow! Well I guess that I like the night now because I used to be afraid, but I know that Jesus walks with me, and yeah, I guess its kinda special, you know. Especially when the stars and moon are out.
    I like to go camping in my swag and look up at the stars and look for satellites and shooting stars.
    If you do not know what a swag is, they are australian made. They are made out of canvas, and you put your sleeping bag inside them. They are completely waterproof, and they are so cool!!! her is a link: http://www.theswagstore.com.au/commerce.asp?CatId=355&ProdId=TB02 this is jsut one style

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like it, Mr. Alden! ;)
    Really, Eric...that's very good...and I think you are a gifted writer. :) Keep at it!

    Hmmm, any complaints? Nope! I like him and his work! ;)

    I heard the name Ric Alden and though..."That sounds SO familiar" Then I remembered "Oh yeah! I came up with it!" :P

    Good job, Eric. :)

    Yes...I was! I love the stars and moon. :) I used to be afraid a lot. I am not anymore. :)

    I LOVE camping...hardly ever get to do it though...

    Yes, I know swags. ;) We call them One Man Tents! :P

    I have always wanted to spend a week out in the woods...near a river with just camping materiel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woods? lol here we never say woods. We have forests, and bush. We say that we are going camping in the bush.

    I shall pass on the message to Ric. He is a bit of a lousy character to me, but at least he is forgiven by God.

    So, Anna, you know when you and me and everyone else was having that discussion about marriage etc, well, I was wondering...you and your dad sat down together and worked out all those things??

    Your Bro,
    Eric ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha...that is funny! We say forest too...don't say the bush though! :P Camping in the bush sounds fun! DO you see many animals?!

    I LIKE Ric! You are far too hard on him. ;)

    What do you mean "worked all them out"? Do you have more of a...specific question? Because...we know how we want a courtship to go...is that what you meant? ;)

    Your sis,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, like I have never heard of a father and daughter sitting down and agreeing about things like that. -Not that it shouldn't be done. I must say that there are few girls that I know that want to live under their fathers protection.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well...dad knows how much I want to get married. And we have had many talks about it. :)
    Yes...we agree on it. Strange eh?
    I wear my purity ring...and I think of it as strongly as I would a wedding ring. I gave my heart to my dad...it is his to give away. Of course he can't give it away without my agreeing! :P
    But he will be HIGHLY involved in any relationships I get in. I used to be afraid that the idea would scare guys away...but I would want the same protection for my daughters from my husband...so any man who would not agree with and not understand my dad's protection over me would NOT be the right one for me!
    I am thankful for my dad's protection. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anna,

    That is so encouraging. I too, gave my heart to my dad. I know even close relatives that think that marriage is all about sex, and why should a girl wife give herself to her husband??

    I wish that guys were a bit more respectful these days to. You know, even at church, guys and girls are hugging all the time like they are in a relationship or something.

    I think that for your and my children, it is going to be difficult for them, but with good parents, and God on their side, they will be ok.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good. :)
    Wow...I know...people think that is ALL a relationship is for these days. It's sad.

    I know...I don't find a quick, sideways hug wrong...I don't know any guys that I do it with...but there are some older men who I hug...but that's different. I wish guys were more respectful too. I am glad you are! :)

    Yes...indeed. I want to learn all I can to teach my children one day.

    I think I may have to go now... I am praying for you!
    I hope we can have more time to talk soon!

    Your sis,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, you are totally right there, Anna.

    And hugging older people is different to.

    Ok :( but maybe you might come one later....I should still be here. Thanks for talking sis. I really enjoy these chats, and they help me a lot.

    Your Bro,
    Eric ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. :)

    Yes it is...but I actually don't even hug many older men. There is one man that I am VERY close to. I even call him uncle. ;)

    Awww, don't be sad!!! I am back. ;)
    I enjoy them too. :) I am glad that they help you!

    Your sis,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, it is just encouraging to see that a man like your dad is very careful to guard your heart and make sure that you both agree on some things, and eventually your 'knight'. am I right sis?

    Eric ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Indeed. ;) And you remember things very well!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anna,

    I fail to see how my memory is so good! You remembered my birthday, so naturally, I remembered yours! It is 10:27AM here. The sun is out now, so it isn't too bad. What have you got planned for tomorrow?

    Bro

    ReplyDelete
  16. Haha...I meant that you remembered me saying "my knight" lol

    It's 7:26 pm here...and the stars are out now! :D

    We are working very hard tomorrow. I am growing weary of it! :P But...it will be so beautiful when we are done!

    What are you doing today? Making any more rockets?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nah, I think that rockets can wait a bit. I need to save money. I think that the best thing for me to do now, is to save money. Rather than spend it on myself, and please me, I'd rather save it, you know maybe to buy a house one day.

    And of course I remember what you said. Quiz me and see if I remember...lol What was the name that I used to call my future wife??

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is very wise. I intend to start saving my money as soon as we get back from vacation...saving for a house is a great idea!!! Having money for that can really be good.

    Oh...speaking of vacation...next week I will be gone with no internet. I think it may be for up to two weeks. So...we won't talk for a while... :( Just wanted you to know.

    Ummm...you called her...your angel right?!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh thats a bit sad, but I guess that we will just have to deal with it, by praying. In fact, every time that I think of you, or wish that we could talk, I will pray for you Anna.

    I prayed for you last night when I went to bed.

    I have music practice tonight, so it should be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I know. ;) And thank you for praying!!! I pray for you often too! :)

    Oh! I LOVE music practice! I have been learning to sing "Walk on the water" by Britt Nicole! :D I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thats good! Sis, I just read your prayer request, and I am not going to reply for obvious reasons, but I am praying, and please please, Anna drop my bow order and do it after your vacation! please!

    I do not want you to be stressed.

    ReplyDelete
  22. :)

    Yes...I understand you not replying there...and thanks. :) I REALLY wanna get those bows to you...I just have one more of yours to do. ;) So really...don't worry about.

    And I need to practice NOT getting stressed. This could be good for me, y'know? If I am in training to be a wife and mother...I imagine there will be some stressful days! ;)

    Thank you though for caring. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anna,

    I can tell you now, that your going to be a good mother and a good wife. Worrying is a good thing, but it can get out of control, and I have a problem with that to.

    I will prayer for you, sis.

    I hope that you will be able to enjoy your vacation.

    You do not need to thank me for caring. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Well...thank you. I hope so. SO much. :)

    Yes...I know...PLEASE don't worry about me though, Eric...

    Thank you for praying! :D

    I hope so too! I am looking forward to vacation...it's been years since we have taken a real one. We are camping in the Mountains...in a place that has a bunch of bluegrass music! :D :D :D I will tell you about it when we get back, if you want. ;)

    Well...I am thankful that you care...so I thank you! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Did you say Bluegrass music?? Thats really cool, sis, will it be like 'bluegrass heaven or what??

    And it is part of my job to worry and care for you, sis. But I do need to be careful as to how far I go. So if I get too close, then just give me a nudge. ok?

    Bro

    ReplyDelete
  26. I DID say bluegrass! :D :D :D I would LOVE to sing up there...wonder if there will be any way for me to! It is the Appalachian Mountains...FAMOUS for bluegrass and folk! :D

    Part of your job? Well...all I can say is you are very kind. And I don't think you will get too close. You are just a good brother. :) Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. thanks sis. But these things can get out of hand. I read that even brother and sister relationships are capable of this. I am not saying that this will happen, or that I want it to happen, but I just want to be careful, and not to hurt either of us, and to respect your dad's wishes. all the same, I'd be happy if your dad was reading these comments or your mum.

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  28. Okay...

    Do you feel uncomfortable? Because we can stop.

    I was actually thinking that it would be wise if we didn't...talk about the marriage subject any more...because we DO need to be careful

    ReplyDelete
  29. yes, Anna maybe if we stopped talking about marriage.

    So maybe we can talk about bluegrass or something like music??
    What would you like to talk about?

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am sorry, Eric. I didn't mean to say anything wrong... I was going to mention that we should stop that anyways...sorry. I feel bad now.

    I will talk about anything you like :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Anna,

    Please, do not feel bad, its just that I thought I should say something. I just thought that yeah. I wasn't getting uncomfortable, but it is better to be safe than sorry.

    Anna seriously! You haven't done a thing wrong, I am not offended....You aren't offended are you?

    ReplyDelete
  32. Okay. :)

    NO! I am not offended at all! Actually....I am the opposite! I had a...friend...and he was NOT cautious about talking about...future things. And it ended painfully.

    So! I am VERY thankful that you notice things and are cautious. Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Well, I am thankful that we both know where we stand, and yeah its good. You ok?

    So, Anna, I have forgotten, how does your family go again? I mean in siblings??

    ReplyDelete
  34. I am fine. :)

    There are eight of us...not including the many, many miscarriages. There are three boys and five girls. :)

    What about you? I can't remember with you either...aren't there six of you?

    ReplyDelete
  35. Yes! Good memory at work there Anna! Yes 5 boys and 1 girl. The oldest two are married and have families of their own and the one of my other bros lives elsewhere to, but the last three including me are still here. Its the opposite in our families, because girls outnumber the boys in your family, and boys outnumber the girls in our family. Not that it makes it any cooler or better, but it is just interesting.

    For instance, my second oldest bro married the eldest girl from a family of 7 girls, and now they have 3 boys!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Haha...1 girl?! Grace right? ;)

    We have some very good friends (the ones who's dad and mom I call aunt and uncle) and they have 7 boys and 1 girl! The girl is the youngest too!

    I have two brothers married...one lives far away and has one baby (I have never met the baby) and my other brother (you know about him I think) lives near by and has one baby...but I have not seen my brother in weeks. And my brother who lives far away I have not seen since last year.

    There are six of us still at home...1 boy left lol

    Are you the oldest at home now? Or is your brother older?

    ReplyDelete
  37. No, perry (or Pez I call him) is 19. He is an apprenticed electrician and he just lives here. So I a 17, and Grace is 15. She likes the age. :)

    I seriously cannot believe that after wishing for so many years that I was 18 that next year, I will be 18!! It is so....amazing. 18 years of God-given opportunity. It makes me sad as to think about how much I wasted.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Neat. :) My brother was an apprenticed electrician! Grace likes her age? That's good! :D

    Really?! Because I ALWAYS wanted to be 18 too! And I only have a few months now!!! Scary eh? ;)

    I know what you mean...it's sad to have such huge regrets that I do at only 18...but regrets can also be called "Lessons learned" right?

    ReplyDelete
  39. Yes, Anna. I think we both know about lessons learned right? But still, 18 is going to be fun and hard at the same time with new responsibilities and everything. So what time is it in little ol' Dothan Alabama. And by the way, Don't tell Aussies that you come from a small town. my town is 5,000 people and 5,000 and under is small here in Aussie.

    They might laugh at you thats all. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Yes...
    and yes. :) 18 will be great, Lord willing! :D

    It is 8:36 pm...and I have to go in just a second...sister wants the computer! ;)

    Haha...okay...I won't tell them. ;) But YOU are the only Aussie I know! :P

    I think that our dothan Population is 67560 ;)

    I am a...grogan...right? Is that what a country person is?! :P

    ReplyDelete
  41. bogan bogan bogan Anna. No, you are not a bogan, because you live in a city of 60,000+ people. your are city-sicker! but a nice one at that.


    are you coming back on later?

    ReplyDelete
  42. Haha...BOGAN! :P

    City Slicker?! But I don't live IN town! I am 15 minutes away! :P A nice one? Well...hehe thanks. ;)

    No...I am not, sadly. But...I will be back on later tomorrow evening...will be about...11 or 12 PM your time. :) I HOPE I get time to come back on tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Ok Anna. Thanks for talking. Your a great sis.




    I will be praying for you.
    Bro

    ReplyDelete
  44. Thank you Eric. :) You are a great brother. :)

    I do have to go now.

    I am praying for you too!
    Sis

    ReplyDelete
  45. Hi ya'll!! Aw, I missed the conversation! :-(

    ReplyDelete
  46. Hey Tori!!

    I wondered were you have been all this time!!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Hey! I didn't think you guys were having any long conversations on here, so I don't check it that often, except when Eric updates. But, now I know....so I'll check the comments more often. :-) How is the thread on the Rebelution coming?

    Yes, this is Tori - despite the name "Beautiful Life Ministries". It wouldn't let me post this using my regular account for some reason.

    ReplyDelete